BEST CONFERENCE TABLE SIZE BY NUMBER OF SEATS
How much space per user?
Table size can be determined by multiplying the number of users by the space per person:
- We recommend a minimum space of 30” per user.
- 36” per user is more comfortable.
- 42” per user is very generous. This is also the minimum spacing for social distancing
- 48” per user is plenty of room to spread out papers.
Multiplying the number of desired users times the space per person will tell you how much perimeter your table needs. Different table shapes distribute those users in different ways. See the chart below for common table sizes for desired number of users.
Further Notes on Space Per Person
- The distance between users sitting next to each other is much smaller than the distance across a table. For instance, users on opposite sides of a 4′ wide modern conference room table, in a standard office chair, have about 7 feet of space between their heads.
- 30” spacing feels tight. You are elbow to elbow with other users.
- 36” allows for room to move and space for taking notes on paper or operation of a laptop computer with minimal encroachment to the participants on either side.
- 36″ is also used for round tables, where users’ legs and feet are inhabiting a smaller space.
- When users have a computer and documents on the table, 42” is comfortable.
- For luxury situations or observing social distancing, 48” is preferred.
Chart: Minimum Size for Common Custom Conference Room Table Shapes Based on Number of Users
The following chart includes both social distancing and traditional seating capacities. These are guidelines. Contact us using the form below for help.
We make custom conference room tables of any size and shape to suit your needs. To see more detail on conference table shapes, view our seating capacity guide for different table shapes.
Chart of conference tables showing number of users for common sizes and shapes, with traditional spacing and Social Distancing spacing:
|# of Users
|# of Users
|Rectangle||Boat||Square||Round||U, V, or Head
|2||4||36 x 60||42 x 60||42 x 42||48||36 x 128|
|3-4||6||36 x 72||42 x 72||48 x 60||72||36 x 192|
|6||8||48 x 96||54 x 96||64 x 64||96||36 x 256|
|7-8||10||48 x 144||54 x 144||64 x 96||120||36 x 320|
|9-10||12||48 x 168||54 x 168||96 x 96||144||36 x 384|
|11-12||14||48 x 192||54 x 192||96 x 128||168||36 x 448|
|13-14||16||54 x 216||72 x 216||128 x 128||192||36 x 512|
|15-16||18||54 x 240||72 x 240||128 x 160||216||36 x 576|
|17-18||20||60 x 264||72 x 264||160 x 160||240||36 x 640|
|18-19||22||60 x 288||84 x 288||160 x 192||264||36 x 704|
|19-20||24||60 x 312||84 x 312||192 x 192||288||36 x 768|
|20-21||26||60 x 336||96 x 336||192 x 224||312||36 x 832|
|22-24||28||66 x 360||96 x 360||224 x 224||336||36 x 896|
|24-25||30||72 x 384||96 x 390||216 x 240||360||36 x 960|
The Paul Downs Difference
No mass-produced, cookie-cutter tables here. When it comes to custom conference room tables, Paul Downs is the pinnacle of craftsmanship. We design truly unique meeting and boardroom tables that are hand-crafted to your specifications, from power and data hatches right down to the grain of the wood we use. If you need a conference room table for your business, organization, or school, we’re just a click or call away. Someone from our team will be happy to answer any questions you may have.